Transfer Credit


Transfer Credit

  • Students must request a credit evaluation prior to beginning the first class at DeVry and provide an official transcript from the institution where the credit was earned. 
  • An unofficial evaluation of transfer credit may be provided pending receipt of official transcripts.

Proficiency Credit

  • Students who feel course material has been mastered, either through coursework completed outside DeVry for which transfer credit cannot be given or through self-study, may request a challenge examination for the course, provided they were not previously enrolled in the course at DeVry. 
  • Approved nationally recognized tests (e.g., AP, CLEP, DANTES), as well as an individual's military educational history, may also be recognized for proficiency credit.
  • There may be state regulations governing the number of proficiency credits that may be applied toward the graduation requirements of any program. Students should consult their academic administrator for further details.
  • Proficiency credit is NOT granted for senior projects/capstone courses.


  • Students may satisfy degree requirements by using a combination of transfer credit, course waivers and course exemptions. All 600-level courses must be taken through DeVry University.
  • Students seeking a graduate degree may transfer up to six (6) courses total (18 semester credit hours maximum) regardless of the number of degree programs attempted or completed. 
  • Students seeking a graduate certificate may transfer up to three (3) semester credit hours to fulfill course requirements.
  • Students must complete a Transfer Credit Request form and submit it to the admissions representative/academic advisor with all required materials when applying to receive transfer credit.

Transfer Credit
The following shows the number of credits that can be transferred and from where based on the applicant's status or location.

Status Credit That Can be Transferred Transferred From
Graduate Applicants WITH Master's Degrees (or higher) Up to six courses (up to a maximum of 18 semester-credit hours)
  • DVU-recognized graduate schools
  • International institutions of higher education whose courses have been validated
Graduate Applicants WITHOUT Master's degrees (or higher) Up to three courses (up to a maximum of 9 semester-credit hours)
  • DVU-recognized graduate schools
  • International institutions of higher education whose courses have been validated.

Note: Courses must have been completed within the five years preceding initial enrollment at in a graduate program at DVU or KGSM.

CALIFORNIA Graduate Applicant Only two courses (up to six semester-credit hours)*

*To comply with California regulations 

  • DVU-recognized graduate schools


Course Waivers

  • Students with extensive academic or professional experience may request to waive a program core or program-specific course by working with their admissions representative/academic advisor by providing documentation supporting achievement of expertise equivalent to or beyond that of students who have successfully completed Keller's course in that discipline.

Course Exemptions

  • In some cases, students who have earned DeVry credit may be eligible for course exemptions. Course exemptions reduce the number of courses students must take in residence; therefore, an exempted course need not be replaced with an additional elective. These exemptions are evaluated without a request from the student.
  • Students who hold CPA certification, or who have passed parts of the CPA exam, are exempt, as appropriate, from ACCT591, ACCT592, ACCT593 and ACCT594. Students who believe they qualify for this exemption should submit the Course Exemption Request form to their home location.

Note: Certain course exemptions are not available in New Jersey and New York.


What is the maximum amount of Transfer Credit that may be granted to an undergraduate student?

  • A maximum of 80 DeVry credit hours may be awarded for lower-division or community college courses.
  • In Oregon, a maximum of 50 percent of a baccalaureate program's credit hours may be transferred from institutions not offering baccalaureate degrees.
  • Transfer credit maximums are also subject to DeVry's residence requirement for the chosen program.

Can I receive life experience credit?
DeVry does not grant academic credit for life experience.

Can I receive transfer credit while attending DeVry?
Students attending DeVry who seek to earn credit at another institution for transfer to DeVry must have approval to do so in advance by submitting an External Course Review case via the student portal.  Go to and select the Ask Us a Question link.

Are there special conditions for Veterans who wish to receive transfer credit?
For all veterans and eligible persons, an evaluation of previous education and training is completed.

Are there special conditions for international students who wish to receive transfer credit?
DeVry may require a catalog or additional material. If credits were earned at a foreign institution, a credit evaluation by an approved external evaluation service may be required.

How does transfer and/or proficiency credit influence my GPA and graduation requirements?
Transfer or proficiency credit that satisfies graduation requirements is considered when determining a student's academic level and progress; however, this credit is not used when computing GPAs.

Home | Student Central | Student Services | Academics | Campus Information | Financial Information | Admissions | Career Services | Community Outreach | Downers Grove Center | Elgin Center | Naperville Center