First Year Experience
Interested in getting a jump start on college? Immerse yourself in the college experience by registering for a first year experience offered by DeVry University's Addison Campus specifically for District 88 students. Elgibile students will be able to take up to four introductory college courses as part of our StartNow and Passport2College programs during their senior year as a District 88 student - for a total of 15 possible college credits which is equivalent to a traditional college semester. Courses include:
- ENGL 112 -- Composition
- ENGL 135 -- Advanced Composition
- MATH 114 -- Algebra for College Students
- PSYC 110 -- Psychology
Students will be enrolled in one course every eight weeks. ENGL 112 & 135 will be offered at Addison Trail School as an after school program during Fall 2013. Upon completion of the ENGL sequence, students will be eligible to continue the program by taking MATH 114 & PSYC 110 at DeVry University's Addison Campus in Winter/Spring 2014.
Questions? Contact us or speak to your counselor today!
Matt Johnson, Manager of Educational Partnerships
Interested in registering? Complete our online interest form here!
College credit is awarded by and applicable toward degree completion at DeVry University. Students who complete courses as part of the program will be issued a transcript upon completion of the course which they may take to another university to have evaluated for transfer credit. Awarding of transfer credit is not guaranteed.
**Qualified students will be registered on a first come, first serve basis. Students are not enrolled in the program until they have completed the following steps
**(To be qualified students must have a 2.5 G.P.A. and a score of 17 or higher on the A.C.T test or test "standard" on our Math and English placement exams)
1) Meet with your guidance counselor at your high school to discuss the program. Request your transcript and letter of recommendation directly from your counselor BEFORE setting an appointment with your DeVry Admissions Advisor.
2) Schedule a meeting with the designated District 88/DeVry Admissions Advisor, Casey Tobin, by contacting her at email@example.com or 630.652.8538. Below is a list of the required documents that you must provide to Casey Tobin at your scheduled meeting:
- An official application with appropriate parental/guardianship signatures. (You will complete the appropriate application at your meeting with Casey)
- Statement of purpose explaining why you want to participate in the program and how the courses fit into your college plans
- Letter of recommendation from your principal, counselor or teacher - Copy of your ACT/SAT test results if available (results on HS transcripts are acceptable)
- Current HS transcript. If mailed from your school, it must be received at least 2 weeks prior to the start of the course.
3) Attend the mandatory Orientation on August 31st (more information to follow)